Wednesday, October 2, 2013

OBD

I have always been a big fan of gadgets and with each passing year, gadgets are becoming cheaper and affordable for most people. Long Live the Chinese! Since the day I had learnt about OBD port in cars, I wanted to play with it. OBD for On board Diagnostics ports are present in most cars manufactured after 1993. These are digital ports that provide vital information from different on board sensors and sub systems of the vehicle. They provide with Diagnostic Trouble Codes which help in identifying the exact problem with the car. Moreover there is a lot of other information that can be used by the owner to see how the car is behaving. With the advent of Chinese made OBD connectors, playing with these ports or at least looking at information available from these ports has become really easy. 

I recently ordered an OBD II Bluetooth module from a guy who sells them on OLX. The bluetooth version only costs Rs 1800 and the Wifi version costs Rs 2800. There are many apps available for the PC, Android and IOS available for download. I have started with Torque which is available on the Android Play store. There is a free lite as well as Pro version available for purchase. The app is quite good with a lot of customization options. So after I received my OBD module, I kind of got busy and didn't really play with until yesterday. I downloaded the Torque app and connected the module to my OBD port in my car and Vola! Data started streaming in! I could see my RPMs, coolant temperature, Speed and a host of other things that I don't even know yet! Anyway now since I have this working, I'm thinking of utilizing my TV screen which is in my car and is hardly used since I don't watch TV or DVDs in my car. So my plan is to utilize that screen but till I get time to that I'm going to be using my Tablet for looking at my Car's data coming in Real time! Its really cool! Have a look at a screenshot of the gauges that I'm using on Torque! Its an image when it is not connected to the OBD of the car, will share one while connected as well later ....




I am using the following OBD scanner Bluetooth Module


No comments:

Post a Comment