Friday, March 22, 2019

I've finally made it to Tokyo

This MIT Bootcamp journey has been a topsy turvy from the start, but I've finally made it to Tokyo! First it was the visa process, then it was the flights! Due to the ongoing crisis between Pakistan and India, both countries have closed their airspaces for each other. Due to this, the load on all flights going out of Pakistan has increased a lot, which meant that I had a really hard time finding a flight on such short notice to Tokyo. Even business class (which I was never planning on buying) was fully booked as well. But finally my travel agency found a flight for me that was economy but pretty expensive and it was via Karachi! So I had to take a 2.5 hour flight to Karachi (via AirBlue), then wait around 5 hours at the airport, took a flight to Doha (Qatar Airways), waited around 2 hours there and finally took a 9.5 hour flight from Doha to Tokyo (Qatar Airways). So in total my journey lasted around 25 hours. I checked in to my hotel last night around 1.30 am and today was my first day in Tokyo! Since I have to complete a few prerequisite MOOCS before the bootcamp starts, my plan was to spend the day finishing those, no sight seeing for now! However my laptop charger didn't match the 2 pin sockets that are common here. I tried finding a converter at a local convenience store nearby but they didn't have it. Ultimately I had to go to Akhihabara, which, I've already planned on going to. Fortunately it's just a 20 minute walk from my hotel, so that's what I did. I walked to Akhihabara, bought the converted and then wasted an hour there... It was hard to bring myself back but I eventually did. I spent the next 4.5 hours doing the MOOCs and then I joined some of the bootcampers who have all converged on Tokyo from around the globe for dinner. The bootcamp officially starts tomorrow at 4 so I've got to complete the remaining MOOCs. Here are some cool pictures from day 1. 









No comments:

Post a Comment