Monday, August 7, 2017

DOS Games for the boring Meetings

In my last post I wrote about how I re-utilized an almost dead slow windows XP Acer netbook by installing Linux Mint on it. My next task was to make it ready for the boring departmental meetings that I'm faced with every day as a university teacher. So the first step was to install Dos Box and download a few dos games that I played while growing up.  Here are the steps that I followed:

Step 1: Install DosBox
https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/dosbox
Just clicking on the install button will install DosBox and create a shortcut menu in the Games tab

Step 2: Download a few Dos Games
https://www.emuparadise.me/Abandonware_Games/51 
[Disclaimer: I do not support piracy. Download at your own risk]

Step 3: Unzip and mount the game on DosBox
Once you have downloaded the zip file, unzip it and mount it after launching DosBox. Once you can see the Dos prompt you can use the command intro mount to see how to mount a game director to DosBox. The first game I downloaded and installed was Duke Nukem 3d.


  • Unzip Duke Nukem 3d to let's say Desktop
  • Use the mount command on DosBox " mount c ~/Desktop/DN " , here DN was the folder to which I unzipped my Duke Nukem zip file. "c" is the name of the virtual drive to which the folder DN will be mounted to. 
  • Once the folder is mounted you can navigate to that director just like in DOS by typing c:
  • Now using dir lists all the executable files. You need to run setmain or setup first to setup Duke Nukem run settings like sound and keyboard
  • Once that is done, simply type duke3d to play the game
  • Make sure you don't play this game in a meeting



Here is a video preview. My music is playing but something is wrong with the sound effects. Need to figure that out. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment